Deciding On A Lock

About Me

Deciding On A Lock

We have all been there. You arrive at the hardware store, anxious to pick out a new lock for your storage unit, shed, or kid's locker. Unfortunately, after you see the available options, you might be confused and frustrated. After all, how are you supposed to know the difference between an exposed shackle and a protected lock body? Fortunately, this blog is here to help you to decide the right lock for your situation. By taking a few minutes to read through this information, you might be able to decide which lock you need to keep your things safe and sound.


Proof Of Ownership That Locksmiths Require

Proof of ownership and permission to access a piece of property will be required by a certified locksmith who is being hired to provide reentry to a home, a business, or another locked item. The information that is required by many locksmiths is outlined below.

Protection For Both Parties

A locksmith who is being hired to unlock a home or business is providing an invaluable service that will prevent a property owner from needing to break a window or use another forceful way to gain entry. If a burglar wanted to gain entry to a locked structure and a locksmith did not require them to provide proof of ownership, the true property owner could be at risk of having their valuables stolen. 

Additionally, the locksmith could be sued for providing services to someone who had no right to be on the property. For these reasons, the majority of licensed locksmiths will require proof of ownership. The requested information will need to be provided to a locksmith at the onset of a service appointment.

Proof Of Ownership

Proof of ownership may include a government-issued identification card, a property deed, or a piece of mail that is addressed to the person who is seeking a locksmith's services. An independent locksmith may require their own baseline proof requirements, but these few identifying aids are some common ones that may be requested by a locksmith.

If the tenant of an apartment building or another residential property has locked themselves out of their rental unit, they will likely need to contact their landlord directly and have the property owner contact a locksmith and furnish them with the necessary documents and paperwork. 

Permission From An Owner

There may be occasions in which the non-owner of a piece of property will need to gain access to a building or a vehicle that is locked. If keys have been misplaced or if a locking system is faulty, the person who is in need of a locksmith's services should contact the property owner first. For example, if an employee drives a company vehicle that they are locked out of, they may require the help of a locksmith.

A property owner will need to furnish the individual with all of the necessary documentation that will prove they are the owner of the item that a locksmith will be servicing. They may also need to provide the individual with an authorization form. This form should specify the item that is going to be unlocked, the location of the item, and the details surrounding the permission that is being granted.

Contact a locksmith in your area for more information.